Welcome from Principal Mays
Greetings to our Akira Toki community, and welcome to the 2023-2024 school year!
I am Sheba Mays, Principal of Akira Toki Middle School. I attended Tennessee State University and Concordia University-Wisconsin, and I have 25 years of experience as an educator and administrator in the state of Wisconsin.
Toki is a thriving school in which every scholar and adult is recognized for their strengths, challenged to do better and supported to succeed. Organized around collaborative work and mutual accountability, we are clearly focused on preparing all scholars to be college, career and community-ready.
Our environment at Toki Middle School is one that is safe and welcoming. Among ninety-five percent (95%) of our scholars surveyed in Spring of 2023:
- 92% of scholars believe there is an adult in the building who wants them to do well.
- 83% of scholars feel safe and comfortable with staff at school.
- 82% of scholars feel that others are friendly to them at school.
- 87% of scholars shared that they want to learn as much as they can in school.
- These percentages are very similar when sorted by racial & ethnic demographics.
- Latinx scholars rated all the above categories at a rate of 5%-7% higher.
Additionally, Toki’s MSCR after-school program has been recognized for its high percentage of scholar enrollment and participation, with 85% of our student population enrolled in after school MSCR clubs/activities.
Academically and Social-Emotionally, our intentional focus this year includes Universal Design for Learning (UDL), schoolwide AVID critical reading strategies, anti-racist teaching practices, advanced learning, and developmentally designed supports.
The work ahead of us promises to be rewarding.
The Madison community and Toki parents, guardians and caregivers are our partners in education. We are committed to continuous collaboration and growth with you, and we look forward to our 2023-2024 journey together!!