Welcome from Principal Mays
Greetings, Toki Community!
I am beyond excited to introduce myself as Sheba Mays, Principal of Akira Toki Middle School.
I am an undergraduate of English Education from Tennessee State University and a graduate of Concordia University-Wisconsin. I have thirteen years of experience as a secondary English teacher and ten years experience as an Administrator in Wisconsin at all grade levels (elementary through high school).
Our mission at Toki Middle School: “Toki is a thriving school in which every student and adult is recognized for their strengths, challenged to do better and supported to succeed. Organized around collaborative work and mutual accountability, we are also clearly focused on preparing all students to be college, career and community-ready.”
As a servant leader with an intentional and sharp focus on my commitments to all, my commitments - specific to students, families and the community - are as follows:
My Commitments to Scholars
Scholars of Akira Toki Middle School will:
- Enjoy coming to school and express a strong sense of school pride
- Experience an inclusive, equitable, anti-racist, cultural and linguistically relevant environment
- Learn to initiate opportunities to take on challenging academic tasks and new learning
- Learn to internalize social-emotional strategies that contribute to their overall health & well-being
- Increase their participation in clubs and activities
- Know that their success is driven by the people who are rallied around them in support
- Grow and excel academically and demonstrate increased readiness toward being college, career and community ready
- Be safe, responsible and respectful with their peers and staff
My Commitments to Parents, Caregivers and the Community
Parents, Caregivers and the Community of Akira Toki Middle School will be:
- Kept informed about Toki Middle School
- Encouraged to speak their truth and engage in our school events and activities
- Welcome to calendar in-person discussions with me, speak by phone or message me via email; whichever options are most convenient for them.
- Know that the success of all is my priority. ALL of us are leaders and ALL of us are lifelong learners.
The work ahead of us will not be easy; however, it promises to be rewarding. Stay the course, keep focused and trust the process. I am excited to collaborate, grow, learn and build relationships with everyone!
The school year will arrive soon, and we will be ready for all of the successes that it will bring. Until then, be well and be safe.